This is a tough one to share, but I'll do it. My mother made, by far, THE BEST Potato Salad...EVER! My mother taught me how to make it. There are no precise measurements. There is a lot of "feeling" and taste to it. But it's worth the work! It was originally my Grandmom Robinson's recipe and my Mom learned how to make it from her.
5 lbs Red Potatoes (try to get them all about the same size)
A dozen eggs
3-4 Stalks of celery
a little more than half a jar of regular Hellmans Mayonaise
Salt and Pepper to taste.
a little Milk (can use 2%)
- Boil the potatoes until a fork easily pierces them, but doesn't break them apart. Usually at least 20 minutes. Remove them from the pot one at a time as they are done.
- Hard boil the eggs.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into slightly larger then bite size pieces about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Use an egg slicer in 2 directions on 10 of the eggs, select 2 pretty ones to set aside.
- Add half a jar of mayo and a little milk.
- Chop the onion and celery (I use the cuisinart like my mom did, she didn't like large pieces in there). Add them to the pot.
- Mix gently, trying to keep the mixing to a minumum so that the potatoes don't mash.
- Add salt and pepper. I usually do a couple palm fulls of salt and 1ish of pepper.
- Add extra mayo if needed, or just milk if it seems too thick.
- If you make it the day before, which I recommend, since it takes a couple hours to complete, you can add a little mayo and milk to loosen it up when you are ready to serve.
- Sprinkle it with paprika, slice the remained eggs with the slicer and lay them decoratively on top!